This is the third flight game I’ve reviewed on GamerVets. One, the disappointing and heartbreaking Ace Combat: Assault Horizon, which I gave a 2.5/5. The worst Ace game I’ve ever played. I followed it up with a demo review of Birds of Steel. Not a bad game at all. I scored the demo 3.5/5.
I’ve never heard of this Damage Inc. game, until Joystiq had an article about a demo on XBL. Not even Major Nelson had a blurb about this game though he promotes just about all demos.
How is Damage Inc. Pacific Squadron WWII?
Aside from the cornball name, which I’d like to subtract a point right off the bat (mentally, not in reality), it makes no difference anyway, since you can’t go below ZERO. At least so far our site doesn’t do that, though this game would be a candidate for adjusting our rating scale.
The only other game I believe our site has rated a BIG FAT ZERO is The First Templar. A PS1 quality game yours truly played. Why the hell does it seem I play more crappier games than my fellow GamerVets?
Everything regarding this game is among the worst out there.
- Even setting my bar low, I still can’t think of one average thing about this game
- I’ll take a stab and say 90% of XBLA games and 50% of Indie games are better looking and more polished
- Title screen – Super Nintendo quality
- Menu and plane select screens – Bland and jaggy
- Textures – Lousy. PS2 quality with limited 360 anti-aliasing and higher resolution
- Crispness – None. Jaggies everywhere
- Frame rate – Anywhere from single digits (turning) to 30 fps (you go in a straight line with no enemies in sight). Possibly the worst frame rate fluctuations I’ve seen on 360
- Effects – Garbage explosions and particle effects
- Cockpit view is pointless and your dashboard is not only ugly, but almost pitch black most of the time
- Even the small white circle in the corner (when it’s loading) looks bad
- My mistake, there is one redeeming feature. You can skip the ugly cut-scenes!
- Speech – The worst voice over (the main pilot) I can think of in recent memory. Sounds like a moron
- Decent background menu music (though repetitive)
- The worst playing flight game I’ve played on 360
- Atrocious frame rate leads to bad flying
- Bombing reticule works sometimes. Bombs don’t go where they should
- CPU teammates do zero. You do all the killing
- Just concentrate on the yellow enemy icons (objectives). The regular red ones are distractions. Avoid them since it seems many missions are timed. Don’t waste your time on red ones
- When you hit the water/land, sometimes you bounce up not taking damage, sometimes you crash?
- Unlimited guns and special weapons, though you have to wait for it to reload
- There is both Arcade and Sim controls. Arcade only allows you third person view some reason. Sim allows Nose and Cockpit
- No regenerating health, which is a blessing. Makes the game tougher
- The game says it has Xbox Live multiplayer, but it’s greyed out. The demo is single player only
The Old Guy in Me Says
Damage Inc. Pacific Squadron WWII is pure garbage. I just checked Gamestop’s website and the game is budget priced at $49.99. Pfffft. The game isn’t worth it at $4.99. Amazingly, there’s also a collector’s edition going for $99.99. It comes with a Mad Catz flightstick.
Classify this game under “delete after playing once”.
A well deserved 0/5 from me.