For Xbox 360 owners, Rockstar has recommended that you DO NOT install the “play” disc for optimal game performance. Digital Foundry has done some great analysis and side by side comparisons on why this is the better route to go. I’ve personally done this but there’s one annoying problem. I have an older Xbox 360, you know the one where when the CD-ROM spins, it sounds like a chopper taking off? It’s annoying as hell. I’ve been so used to installing and running every game off the hard drive that I forgot just how loud that noise is. What’s the solution? Install the the “Play” disc on a USB flash drive.
Here’s how to install the Grand Theft Auto V play disc on a USB Flash Drive:
- Get a minimum 16 GB USB flash drive. The GTAV install takes up 7.8 GB but you must also format and configure the USB flash drive to work with the XBox 360. That takes up approximately 1.5 GB of space. The USB flash drive does not have to be 3.0 compliant since the Xbox 360 is only 2.0 so a 2.0 USB is fast enough and will save you a few bucks. For a decent 2.0 USB 16GB flash drive, prices can range from $10-20.
- Configure the USB Flash drive to work with Xbox 360. Plug the drive into the USB port and go to Settings -> Storage -> Configure USB. This formats and installs necessary O/S files. Get a coffee. (takes 10-15 min)
- Put in the GTAV Play disc and install the game to the USB storage. Hit X game details and install to memory unit
- Pin GTAV USB drive to your home menu
- Once you launch the game you should see the USB lights it will then read from the USB flash drive. You should see the lights flashing. You still need the Play disc in the drive as it will check all the DRM and files but the CD-ROM will then spin down
- Rejoce and enjoy the sound of SILENCE